Newsletter Issue 17 – August 2022
Welcome to the August issue of the Fast Forward Newsletter. This month’s news and signposts to helpful guidance are on:
Fast Forward news:
- Fast Forward standards from 1st August 2022, helpful links, written and video guidance
- Webinar – Employment Rights – Learn key developments! 20th September – Book now!
Industry and legislative news:
- UK Government releases new guidance on: Employment status and rights
- What is the Green Claims Code and how to get your green claims right!
- Low Pay Commission report looks at labour market enforcement in Leicester’s textiles sector
- Justice and Care release research brief on the state of evidence for key government and private approaches
We’d also like to get your feedback whether you’re a brand, supplier, factory, warehouse or other organisation. Please do get in touch.
The Fast Forward Team
FAST FORWARD NEWS
Fast Forward standards updates from 1st August 2022
This 10-minute video presents the new amendments to standards, including Right to Work, Self-employment, Leavers, Environmental updates and what’s coming up in 2023!
There are written guidance and helpful links below the recording.
Webinar | Employment Rights – Learn key developments!
Save your spot today!
Join Fast Forward 10am Tuesday 20 September to hear key updates on employment rights, including holiday entitlement, the new UK Government guidance employment status and self-employment, and other emerging developments.
Additional questions from webinar participants will be answered during the live Q&A chat.
UK Government releases new guidance on:
employment status and rights
This new guidance for an employer, addresses why it is important to understand the employment status of an individual. Status is determined by the real nature of the working relationship, not what an employer or engager chooses to call it. Therefore, simply calling someone ‘self-employed’, or putting that term in writing in a contract, does not necessarily mean that the individual will legally be classed as self-employed.
Book here for the next Fast Forward webinar which will cover this new guidance.
What the Green Claims Code is and how to get it right!
One of the new requirements within the environmental standards in Fast Forward is that where a business makes sustainability claims, they can evidence the claim through an effective management system.
The Competition and Markets Authority has a Green Claims Code and provides various additional guidance.
What are Green claims?
Test your knowledge in the Green Claims Quiz!
Green Claims Code Checklist
Green claims code: making environmental claims – full guidance
Low Pay Commission report looks at labour market enforcement in Leicester’s textiles sector
The Low Pay Commission (LPC) published a report on non-compliance and enforcement of the minimum wage in Leicester’s textiles manufacturers.
Low Pay Commissioners make several recommendations for Government:
- The process for reporting abuses does not work for the most vulnerable low-paid workers; but it also fails to engage the third-party bodies whom workers may trust more, or wider industry networks. Commissioners recommend HMRC looks at ways to address these problems.
- There is an ‘information gap’ between what industry and civil society groups think they have reported to official bodies, and what those official bodies are able to share and act on. A forthcoming official review of enforcement operations in Leicester should take into account evidence from both sides of this gap.
- Insecure work and uncertainty over hours and incomes are central to the vulnerability of workers to exploitation. Low Pay Commissioners urge the Government to take action on the measures recommended by the Commission in 2018 to address these issues.
Modern Slavery in Global Supply Chains: the state for evidence for key government and private approaches.
In its latest report, Justice and Care make a number of recommendations to support creating a level playing field for firms attempting to do the right thing; setting clear standards for businesses; and enforcing those standards.
Just Good Work
Just Good Work is a free, interactive mobile app giving jobseekers and workers from the UK or abroad critical information and advice on recruitment and employment. The Fast Forward audit requires businesses to display the Just Good Work poster.
Posters are available to download for free in nine languages from the Fast Forward website: Albanian, Bulgarian, English, Croatian, Gujarati, Polish, Romanian, Serbian and Ukrainian.
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE
IN THIS NEWSLETTER?
Follow us on LinkedIn
If you would no longer like to receive this email, please Unsubscribe
Fast Forward, Camberley House
1 Portesbery Road
Camberley, Surrey, UK GU15 3SZ 01276 919090